LAKEPOINT, Ga. – After a week that saw Jacksonville University women's basketball go 3-0 on the road, clinch a home game in the upcoming ASUN Conference Tournament, and crown a new all-time leader in rebounds, seniors Kayla Gordon and Naqaiyyah Teague earned ASUN Player and Newcomer of the Week honors, respectively, from the league Tuesday afternoon.
Gordon and Teague played major roles in helping the Dolphins to victories at Stetson (Feb. 7), Kennesaw State (Feb. 10), and Lipscomb (Feb. 12) to lock down a hosting bid to the league tournament in March.
Gordon's 36 rebounds on the week propelled her to the top spot in the Dolphin record books to become the team's all-time leader with 961 rebounds. With double-doubles in back-to-back games, she extended her streak to 10 double-doubles this season and 30 in her career. Gordon averaged 16.0 points per game and 12.0 rebounds per game on the week, and finished with a 20-24 (83.3 percent) mark at the free throw line. She currently leads the ASUN in rebounds (233) and rebounds per game (9.3) to rank 40th and 56th in the nation, respectively, while the Dolphins surge to 13th nationally with 16 offensive rebounds per game.
Averaging 10.3 PPG and 6.7 RPG during the stretch, Teague shot a team-leading 58.3 percent from the field (14-24) and pulled down 20 rebounds. The senior from Newark, N.J. also handed out five assists and nabbed 10 steals to help the Dolphins close out their road schedule on a high note. With 11 points and seven boards against the Owls, Teague added a career-high eight steals to near a triple-double at Kennesaw State. Additionally, her 14 points and nine rebounds at Lipscomb were crucial in the Dolphins' seven-point decision, 70-63.
Gordon, Teague, and the rest of the Dolphins return to Swisher Gymnasium this weekend when they play host to USC Upstate Saturday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m.
ASUN Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Feb. 13
Kayla Gordon, Jacksonville
Senior | Forward | Meridian, Miss. | Exercise Science
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; third for Jacksonville this season
- Averaged 16 PPG, 12 RPG and 46.7% from the field in a 3-0 week for the Dolphins
- Recorded back-to-back double-doubles against Kennesaw State and Lipscomb
- Racked up a total of 36 rebounds on the week; leads the ASUN averaging 9.5 RPG
- Becomes Jacksonville's all-time leader in rebounds with a career total of 961
ASUN Conference Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Feb. 13
Naqaiyyah Teague, Jacksonville
Senior | Guard | Newark, N.J. | Sports Management
- Third Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award
- Recorded double figures in two of three games for Jacksonville, while averaging 10.3 on the week
- Shot an average of 58.3% from the floor and 75% from the charity stripe
- Grabbed 10 steals over three games; eight came against Kennesaw State
- Almost nabbed a double-double against Lipscomb with nine rebounds and 14 points